Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Aaarrgh! - And Other Musings From The First Days Back At School

So apparently blogger has integrated with/been bought out by Google.

HOWEVER, since I already have an account, it is NOT integrated, and at least at this juncture, it appears that the only way I will be able to integrate will be to create a new blog. Which I am not about to do after almost 3 years of blogging.

What else is new?

Well, I'm back at school, editing segments for Fast-Forward/Rewind, a show that documents freshman orientation week. I actually should be editing right now. But I'm not. I'm already staying up to late and not getting enough sleep, even though no one is here and I am not even that busy yet. I'm really nervous about this year. If I don't step up this year, I feel like I never will. This could be a banner year, or a failure year.

Pete Chvany said I looked like I've lost 15 pounds. In reality, I've only lost about 5, but I can already tell it will be short lived unless I get a fitness regimine going. I need to either walk or go to the gym three times a week at least, and cut down drastically on my soda consumption.

In other news, I talked for over an hour with one of the security gaurds at Emerson named Susan. She was born in Kenya and moved here around 40. She has a facinating life. Interestingly enough, she found out I was Mormon and we talked about Utah. She lived in Logan, UT for a few years when she first arrived in America, and then when she went back to Kenya she told all of her friends that there was no alchohol in America! (Utah has relatively little in terms of bars and drinking). Anyway, we had a great conversation, and I already feel like I know her a lot better. She told me that the personal assistant to the school's attorney is a Mormon, and that we should meet. I agreed.

Anyway, when I left, I bumped into a guy asking for money. I recognized him as the guy who had asked me for money the first day I had got back to Boston, and I had given him around a dollar in change. I told him "You asked me for money the other day" and he said, "No, that wasn't me" and I proceeded to describe what he was wearing, and he said "Oh yeah, that was me". He seemed taken aback, and I'm not sure why. I can hypothosize that he was suprised that I had seen him.

I had looked at him and seen him.

In the city you learn to look away and ignore the poverty and panhandling around you. But I saw him and rocognized him two days later, in the dark. And I think it shocked him that I knew and treated him as a person. I'll never know his story and I just hope he can get to a better position someday.

It's certainly been an interesting time. I'm getting anxious about the future, but we'll just have to see what happens. I'm going to try and post for a little bit every night.

Now, on to that editing!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anxious about the future? Don't be - the future is whatever you make it.

So make it a good one.

Anonymous said...

Google has owned blogger since 2003 when they acquired it from Pyra Labs. They are responsible for all of the style changes and improvements to the overall serverices.

In any case I have several other blogs I operate as Content Management, and they can't move over either!

I guess it's one of those google "beta" programs and it will be opened up to more existing blogs with time.

Take it easy!

Anonymous said...

my roommate nathaniel hates that i respond when strangers on the street say "can i ask you a question?". about 80% of the time i acknowledge them. he questioned me one day saying "why do you do that? you know that they're only going to ask you for money." i say "yea i know, but everyone deserves to be acknowledged and i can always say no."

i like that you saw the man.

Anonymous said...

Anon is cool. I think that that attitude of acknowleging that the man is a person in his own right is great. I'd love to know what anon. asks for questions tho'. Some can help themselves and some can't. Maybe we can in some small way make a difference.
Don't forget to pace your self in school, say no to somethings. Schedule some'you' time. and drink a glass of water before each soda. Katie says it helps cut down how umuch you drink.
TAT