Monday, April 18, 2005

Marathon Monday!

Well, it's marathon Monday here in Boston. The day when thousands of people celebrate Patriots day by running--a lot of people. It's pretty insane. I'll try to get some pictures today if I can.

Anyway, I feel like I've been running a marathon recently. This weekend was insane, and the rest of this week is going to be pretty hectic, too. But I'm sure that you all feel the same way as your school year winds to a close. Granted, not evenyone is in school. But summer is coming, and that totally rocks.

During the film shoot I was on this weekend, I operated the Nagra 4.2, which is a two imput monaural reel-to-reel audio recording machine. And it worked pretty well the first day, even when the headphones stopped working right and we thought it was a problem with the mics.... that's fun, having to test every bit of your equipment in the middle of a shoot so that you can find out whats wrong.

So the Nagra got put away at room temperature over night, and the next day when we set it up, it would power on, show levels, rewind, fast forward--but not record or payback. In other words, it became useless. AND, the Film Equipment Distribution Center was closed on sundays. So how to we record our audio today? We have XLR mics, and camera and laptops have 1/8th inch mini plugs for mics, so those wouldn't work... but the PD150 Panasonic MiniDV camera has XLR inputs... and the Emerson Channel has one. So fortunately for me, I was able to access the emerson channel, steal (borrow) the camera, and record the audio onto MiniDV.

Needless to say, it was annoying, and editing is going to be more complicated now, but that's okay.

Oh, this is a special note for John Nevin: I was listening to my music while while writing this, and because WinAmp is on shuffle, it came up on Dolly Parton's and Kenny Rogers song "A Christmas To Remember". The lyric went like this

"Almost went to Aspen but something told me no
I considered Mammoth but there wasn't enough snow
And I even thought of Gatlinburg but that seemed so far to go
So I headed up to Tahoe for a Christmas on the slopes


Cool huh! GATLINBURG!

Anyway, I've got a lot to do today, and I've already wasted far too much of it. Later!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marathon Monday on the Wellesley end was pretty interesting... Half the campus turns out to stand along Rt. 9, which runs right in front of my dorm, and they scream for the runners to urge them on... So, I heard screaming for most of the day... Woo...

Hope the marathon had less screaming on your end...

Anonymous said...

Did you know that is one of my favorite christmas songs? When we lived in Fairview (way back in the day) I made up a dance to that song.... (Amber and Ashely were a part of it and we used chairs to dance on jajaja).