Thursday, July 22, 2004

Financial Aid Adjustment

I just received a letter from the Emerson Office of Student Financial Services telling me that my "award has been adjusted to reflect the addition ofprivate aid from another source other than the Emerson College Office of Student Financial Services."

Interesting idea. Emerson College punishes you for applying for and winning scholarships.

They took away a thousand dollars of Work-Study away because I got a thousand dollar scholarship. This is the most unfair and stupid thing I have ever heard of. My EFC, according to the FAFSA, was only about 500 dollars. My mother has already contributed that amount in to form of my tuition and room deposit. So that means that the gap in my financial aid BEFORE adjustment was almost 8,000 dollars. When you add my 1,000 dollar scholarship, I still have to come up with 7,000 dollars, that my family cannot afford to pay, which is why I am working my BUTT off this summer to earn money to keep my tuition pay/loans as low as possible.

So now I have to figure out where to find another thousand dollars. You know, that was the whole IDEA of applying for scholarships, to fill that gap. If I'd have known I would have been punished for doing so, I would have saved myself hours of time and still had more financial aid!

It's like a slap in the face to come home from a long day at work to a letter telling you that you don't deserve as much money after all. Oh well. I fired off a letter of a similar nature to the financial aid office asking them what they were thinking, and now I'm probably going to blacklisted as some sort of jerk within the financial aid office.

Anyway, work today was good, nothing really new happening there.

At 3:00am today, (as in, Wednesday the 21st) Tanner and I went to Denny's for a late night meal. I spent 15.00 dollars on food--I got an original Grand Slam and a Chicken Strip Appetizer. It was worth it, it was SOOOOOO good, and we had a great time.

My birthday is in nine days! Oh BOY! Please get me presents! Money works too!

Well, I've got to go to bed. It is 1:41am. Goodnight (or morning, or whatever)

No comments: