Monday, February 12, 2007

Editing Away, Everyday.

Every day, I seem to be editing away.

Swordplay, CMYK, The Edge, Uppereast.com, Women In Motion. It's consuming me and my time... but I don't really mind.

I was joking with my friend with today that since what I'd really like to do someday is direct, I will edit for Scorsese or Tarantino and they'll be like "Ezra, you're so talented, why don't you direct your own feature, I'll help you get financing".

Hahaha, right. Seriously, it seems like all I'm ever doing now is editing--and that's not a bad thing, but I'm still not sure if I should be broadening my horizons more or not. I've planned to go to New York City over Spring Break and help Jake Sasseville by editing clips of his Africa trip into promotional pieces of 2-5 minutes in length. In addition, during that time I am going to be working with Joe Collesano on making our BA Practicum film idea/pitch, so that we can get into the program. I can't wait, partially because I want see NYC, which I've never really done, but also because I'll get to make some great contacts through Jake, and meet some of the people I've been working for remotely.

When I go to NYC, I'm also going to visit B and H photo, which will be amazing. For those who aren't into that sort of thing, BandH is like Toys'R'Us store of Video and Photography and lighting. Basically, I'll spend a whole day there.

Got a big agenda coming up. I'm pretty content with what I've got on my plate at the moment. Maybe I have found what I really want to do. I mean, I really love having my own workspace and editing. I like it a lot more in a way than stressing out about all the little details and relying everyone else to do their part of the work or risk having the whole project fall apart.

I'm really nervous and excited about the whole BA Practicum project, but what makes me nervous is that if I am going to be working with a close friend on a project that we'll both be pumping in excess of 5,000 dollars into, it had better be damn good.

How do you make a good film? Well, you've got to have everything be extraordinary... sound, lighting, story, cinematoraphy, direction, acting, production design... it's all got to be seamless, flawless and above all, moving the compelling story forward.

It's a tall order, but I think I can do it. I'm talented... I just have to go for it, and stop worrying about the what-ifs.

1 comment:

David Horne said...

Wow, so many posts! And your own new website. Very impressive, keep up the awesome work.