Monday, February 19, 2007

Long Weekend, Presidents Day Dreams

Well, this is day four without any classes or really anything major to do. I still haven't done the writing I'd like to do. So be it. I've been listening to Joni Mitchell a lot, and she has such beautiful music, with great messages. I sometimes wish I could do sound the same way--singing is something I love to do, but I don't do it nearly enough, and when I do I don't do it "correctly" so it doesn't improve my skills.

I'm down to about 12 dollars and a jar of change, but now I have no money on my T pass, so I can't even go anywhere.

It was a strange night... it got very cold, and since for the first time in weeks I went to bed at a reasonable hour, I slept somewhat fitfully and woke up a lot. And again I had weird dreams. I woke up at about 7am and laid in bed thinking about my dream and thinking that I should haul my butt out of bed and write it down. Alas, I did not, and so all that remains is a faded shadow of ideas. Visions crossing paths in the night. I only remember that the dream had a magic to it, about the realigning of something amazing. I remember only one image from the dream, which was a forest of pine trees, and something being placed and said which caused all the pine to turn a brilliant white, in all directions, spreading through the woods like a fire.

"Woke up, it was a Chelsea morning, and the first thing that I saw
Was the sun through yellow curtains, and a rainbow on the wall
Blue, red, green and gold to welcome you, crimson crystal beads to beckon

Oh, won't you stay
Well put on the day"

Joni Mitchell sings with such an awareness, a heightened sense, that she could certainly empathize with what I felt as I slept through the night. For those who don't know, Boston is a city that sleeps. At 4:00am or so, not a soul can be seen on the streets. My room got very hot in the middle of the night, and so I cracked my window. The pressure difference started making howling sounds in the window, but soon there was silence, and through my sleep and my dreams I would hear the scrape, scrape, scrape, of a lone person moving down the icy sidewalk. It was as if they were walking right next too me, even though I'm 8 stories up.

Today, I have goals, ideas and dreams. Will they come to fruition? Or will they wither on the vine?

No comments: