Sunday, October 03, 2004

174th SemiAnnual General Conference

I forgot to update yesterday, but I was so tired when I got home at about 10:30pm, I basically sluffed about and went to bed.

So this weekend is the 174th Semiannual General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. That means that the leaders of the church broadcast a world-wide meeting--Every latter-day saint in the world watches this program--live. It's really quite a massive program, because they translate it into over 60 languages simultaniously, including Tagalog, Quiche, Slovenian, Pohnpeian, Kekchi, adn Cakchiquel, to name some of the strangest sounding ones. For a full list Click Here.

So the general broadcast lasts Saturday and Sunday, with two two-hour sessions a day, totaling eight hours. Plus a special two-hour Priesthood Session on Saturday night. The conference happens twice a year, and it is quite an event.

Fortunately for me, I was able to attend all three sessions yesterday, and really enjoyed hearing the speakers, and of course the Prophet. I wish I had noted who spoke about forgiveness during the monday morning session, because I need to get a copy of that. Everything he said hit such a cord with me that I had to leave after he was finished to cry. He was speaking directly to me, I know it, and I could feel that apostle's love for me and his ernest desire to help. It's good to know, and gives me a little more strength.

Today, because I have so much homework to do, I will stay home and listen to the broadcast over the internet. (I was going to do work yesterday, but it didn't happen.) It takes between 20 minutes and 40 minutes to get to the church, depending on whether or not you catch the trains right and they don't get delayed. So inbetween sessions yesterday, rather than going home or doing the homework which I had brought, I decided to go up to MIT and see Justin Curry. He met me, and oddly enough Dusty Sharpes was us from his school visiting too! So he showed me quickly around the campus. But the most exciting part was his dormitory--he told me it was the most expensive dormitory ever constructed, and I could believe it.

As you walked up to it, there is no scale, because there are THOUSANDS of windows in the building. This is because there are three 2x2ft windows stacked for each floor, making it appear much taller. I can't really describe this building very well, because it is so incredible. If Frank Lloyd Wright had been crossed with a cubist Salvador Dali, this is what he would have made. It was amazing. Please visit MIT Projects Page to see more pictures, as I LOVE this building. Here are some selected pictures:


So anyway, that's all folks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ezra, was just reading your blog, and out popped another one. I guess you are on line. Katie says several spoke on forgiveness, but I am thinking you might have meant Br. Eyring.
You'd the man, love a proud mom