Tuesday, October 19, 2004

My feelings exactly!

Believe it or not, I don’t know if I’m going to vote this year. It’s true. Election Day is November 2nd and I still have no idea what I’m going to do. You would think someone such as myself, who happens to write a column on politics, would have it all figured out by now. But if you thought that, you would be wrong. I’m an undecided voter in a battleground state; I’m everything the candidates like, except for the fact that I don’t like the candidates. With the big day coming up strong now, I’m thinking I might stay home.

I tend to find this election annoying. For starters, I’m sick of all the media-types and celebrities trying to guilt me into going to the polls. Part of me wants to skip the election this year just to spite them. It’s getting to be ridiculous already. Every time I turn on the TV, I’m bombarded with messages about how voting is my civic duty. Jason Alexander, Tony Hawk—all of them seem to be saying the same exact thing: It doesn’t matter who I vote for, as long as I vote. I don’t understand this. If it doesn’t matter who I vote for, then why am I voting to begin with? What is this, a practice run for when it starts to count a few years down the road? Voting for the sake of voting seems like a pretty lousy reason to vote, if you ask me. If I’m going to vote, I’d at least like to vote for someone I believe in. Like Jesus.

I’m also sick and tired of brand name get-out-the-vote campaigns. MTV, for instance, tells me to “Choose or Lose.” Well, what will I be losing, exactly? My marbles? My lunch money? Do I get to choose what I lose? It makes a difference, you know. A little clarity would go a long way towards helping me decide here. I could probably live without my marbles, but definitely not my lunch money. I’d also prefer not to lose my friends and family members in a military draft—FYI.

...read the whole article here...

1 comment:

Malissa said...

I think everyone should vote also. Something along the lines of, don't complain if you don't vote. Of course, I already voted absentee, and left quite a few areas blank. But for president, which is what I think most people think about, I voted less for someone and more against someone. This is because, for whatever reason, I can't believe we can't come up with better candidates that have a chance of winning. I hope that makes sense.