Thursday, October 28, 2004

The Red Sox Win the World Series, and I was in the Shenanigans

Well, I'm alive, but I just had to experience the feeling of being in a huge crowd of people, so I decided to go down to Fenway and 'get in on the action'. I took some pictures with my film camera, and a few with my camera phone, but I've yet to get the film developed, and the cameraphone pictures suck.

So when I got on the T at about 12:55am, they told me that they were no longer running trains into Kenmore, the stop at Fenway park. So I decided to get off there, and boy, there sure was enough going on. I couldn't believe it. Traffic was stopped as people flooded the streets, chanting, jumping, giving high-fives and more ludicrisness. I saw someone passing out bottles of beer, people pissing against fences, and people lighting newspaper on fire. One of the pictures I have show the sidewalk COVERED in shredded newspaper, and there are about 7 newspaper stands all toppled over with people standing on them.

Perhaps the most interesting chant of the night was "Please don't shoot me, *clap* *clap* *clapclapclap* Please don't shoot me *clap* *clap* *clapclapclap*" I joined in, because I felt it was so true. People were pointing out in a way how rediculous the idea that by shooting into a crowd you can control anybody. What a great night.

At one point I was trying to get a photo over the top of a police car and I was barked at by an officer dressed in riot gear to "get on the sidewalk". So I did.

Over all, it was an incredible experience. I of course had to walk home, but I stopped at the Prudential Center and went to Krispy Kreme and got a pumpkin spice donut and a classic glazed. (I actually ended up with TWO glazed becuase the guy forgot to out the glazed donut in my bag, and so when he went to get me one, he threw in an extra without me even saying anything! No wonder that place is successful, they understand customer service: FREE DONUTS!)

So this morning I got up to do my broadcast operations job for GME, and I was thinking to myself "why do they need me to be here? It's all automated, nothing will go wrong"

So I got my answer.

As the show ended and the tape rewound for immediate re-air, it started playing immediately! (For a little background, the tape has a minute of preroll with colorbars and tone and a slate, the tape actually begins rolling before the feed is taken to the air. It's called a take delay) Someone had forgotten to program the 68 second take delay for GME! So I had to think fast and remember my training which was to take the FS1 feed (the fiber optic feed) and put GME back on the Emerson Channel, then I had to re-adjust the tape position in a matter of seconds to make sure that it went up the moment it was on the air.

In retrospect, I shouldn't have touched the VTR, I should have taken FS1, waited until their out and then taken VTR5 manually, it would have been smother, but it was the first time I had dealt with the situation, and so I was a little frantic.

Then I had to go to Visual Arts class and take my essay test. Lets just say that is sucked, and it reminded me A LOT of AP English because we had to write 2 compare/contrast essays in one hour and forty-five minutes on two pairs of artworks. But I actually think that She-Fe's knowledge helped me stay calm, so I guess I have to thank her again.

So I guess that's all for right now. I have to get on the ball with this web essay project for digital culture, but you know me, with my laziness, I won't be working until sunday. ;) Goodday all!

No comments: